Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Shu Uemura Face Architect and Base Control

I've used Shu Uemura's Face Architect and Base Control for about a year now, and I haven't seen many reviews of it. Not sure why, because I have nothing but praises to sing for it.

This is an amazing medium coverage foundation that gives you that next-to-skin look. The packaging is a frosty glass bottle with a pump (yay!), and I find that one pump of product covers my whole face. I use a dense flat-top mineral brush to apply, and set it with rosewater spray. This foundation has a pleasant fragrance and the texture is light but its not watery at all. A perfect middle ground.

Whenever I wear this foundation, I can easily skip concealer. And believe me, I have dark circles, blemishes, acne scars to deal with! Although it covers my imperfections, I never feel like I have a heavy layer of foundation on. Face Architect has a matte finish with teeny tiny shiny bits in it that give you an overall sheen. Surprisingly, although this foundation has shiny bits in it, it can be worn in broad daylight. I've worn it all day to a tennis tournament before, and I looked great and not at all overly done up.

As for the Base Control, it is a liquid bronzer that I mix with the Face Architect (1 pump is enough!). The Base Control makes the foundation look warmer, and not "ashy". What bothers me, however, is that I have to buy 2 products to achieve the look of one. But oh well. The end result is the much coveted no-foundation-foundation look.


The only downside to these two products is the hefty sticker price. I paid $42 for Face Architect and $24 for the Base Control. Ouch. As a makeup beginner, I never reached for this foundation except on special occasions (that's why it lasted me for a year!). But if you think about it, it's worth splurging on a foundation that looks great, stays on all day, and doesn't break you out. What do you think?

PS. The foundation shade I'm wearing is #934. The Base Control shade is called Bronze. 
blog comments powered by Disqus